Monday 8 April 2013

Music Monday - John Mayer

John Mayer was my first official favourite musician. His name was always the first to escape my mouth whenever someone asked me, "What type of music do you listen to?" I have all his albums on CD and I faithfully brought them with me to school to play on my discman for the bus ride home. I repeated them so often that I could tell where on the bus route we were just by hearing what track was playing. Certain songs trigger memories from middle school and early high school -- very memorable years.
Let's be real, he's still one of my favourites as I'm always returning to his music. I think his earlier albums, Room For Squares and Heavier Things, are still my favourite, but I always enjoy the new music he puts out. It would be sinful not to mention Where the Light Is, a live concert that was released by the John Mayer Trio - there are some amaaaaazing songs on there..like really REALLY good. I know people are always talking about his public image or attitude towards others, but at the end of the day, I care about the music. Nobody is perfect and I'm in no position to judge him.

More recently, John Mayer struggled with health concerns about his vocal cords. He took some time off, even taking of vow of silence for voice rest. He's back now though and heading out on tour for his most recent album, Battle Studies, because it has been delayed. I'm pretty bummed there are no shows near me...not even Seattle, but it's still on my bucket list to see him live! I know he spent a lot of time writing music on his time off, so I'm excited to hear what's next for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment