Thursday 21 February 2013

My Oscar Picks

I'm a real sucker for awards shows -- all awards shows. If it's televised, I'm present. From the People's Choice Awards (which is hideously staged) all the way to the Academy Awards, I'm there...in front of the television...judging the red carpet gowns and the acceptance speeches; cheering on my favourites and scoffing at the winners who I find undeserving. The Academy Awards are my favourite though, not because they are the biggest or most influential, but because one of the newspapers in my area puts out this full page spread where you can tick boxes in each category with your predictions. And not just for the acting and directing categories, you get to predict them all, right down to Best Film Editing & Best Production Design. While I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert in the Sound Mixing or Visual Effects department, I do my best to give that award to best recipient! It's really all in fun as I'm usually pulling for my favourites rather than my predictions (and the two are not always the same).

 (all images taken from the Oscar Legacy website)

For the sake of space and small attention spans, I'm going to keep my predictions for this post narrowed to Best Supporting/Lead Actress & Actor and Best Picture. Drum roll please...

Photo from Harper's Bazaar


Best Actress in a Supporting Role:
Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables )

In 2008, Anne was first nominated for an Oscar, but was fairly beat by Kate Winslet. Her dedication to the role of Fantine in Les Mis is so obvious and her heartbreaking performance speaks for itself. She is in a category with tough competition, namely Sally Field, but I think she is the most deserving of the award.
 
   



Photo from GQ


 Best Actor in a Supporting Role:
 Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained )

I'll admit I haven't seen Django Unchained, but from what I've seen and heard from various trailers and movie reviews, the acting carries this film, which may have otherwise been thought too risky due to the strong themes of unabolished slavery. While I typically don't love Tarantino's movies, I feel Waltz is most likely to win in this category.




Photo from Vanity Fair



Best Actress in a Leading Role:
Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook )

It's no secret that I've got a big fat girl-crush on Jennifer Lawrence. I've seen most of her films, I think she's hilarious, super gorgeous and hands down one of the most talented actresses I have ever watched. This is her 2nd Oscar nomination and she's only 22! She plays every role she's given perfectly and uniquely - this one is no exception. Many are picking Jessica Chastain for the win, but I just don't see it. Quvenzhané Wallis is pretty talented too, but I think this is Jennifer's year! Go JLaw!

Photo from Time





 Best Actor in a Leading Role:
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln )

This movie has received so much Oscar attention, it seems inevitable that Daniel Day-Lewis will win in this category. Historical adaptations have a pretty good track-record at the awards - just look at The Queen and The Iron Lady. Personally, I'll be pulling for Bradley Cooper. His performance in Silver Linings Playbook was so raw and honest I think he may have broken his own heart. Regardless, Daniel Day-Lewis gets my pick. 

Photo from The Huffington Post



 Best Picture:
Lincoln

Basically all the reasons I just gave for DDL to win Best Lead Actor also apply here. I feel like Lincoln's biggest competitor in this category is Argo, partially because it won the Golden Globe & partially because Ben Affleck got snubbed in the directing category, so they sort of owe him. Buuuut, I have a gut feeling about this one, so I'll stick with my prediction. PS - Go Les Miserables & Silver Linings Playbook!







Let me know what you think about this Sunday's Academy Awards. Are my predictions wayyy off or are they similar to yours?


1 comment:

  1. So minus Best Picture, you totally nailed this. You've got acute intuition and killer reasoning, going on there! :)

    ReplyDelete